Support » Enrollment and Registration » Intra District Transfers

Intra District Transfers

Rio Norte Junior High School Logo

Welcome to Rio Norte Junior High, home of the River Hawks!
River Hawks SOAR:
Strive for Success
Own Our Actions
Accept Differences
Respect Ourselves and Others
Junior High is a significant transition from elementary school and we pride ourselves on helping students learn to SOAR over their two years with us, as they prepare for high school. However, if you feel we might not be the right fit for your child, please carefully read all of the information below to see if your student meets the eligibility criteria to transfer to another junior high in our district. Please note, the information below is for the 2024-2025 School Year. 

Intra District Transfers (IDT) 

An intra district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to enroll their student at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area within the district. To request an intra district transfer, you must reside within the attendance boundaries for the schools of the William S. Hart Union High School District. If you reside outside of the Santa Clarita Valley, please click on the button to the right for more information on how to request a transfer.

Before requesting a transfer for the upcoming school year, please carefully review the information on this page.


Important Dates

Please be advised of the following dates for requesting an intradistrict transfer:
  • The window to request an intradistrict transfer for the upcoming 2024-2025 school year will open on Friday, March 1, 2024
  • Intradistrict transfer requests will not be processed between June 14, 2024 through July 7, 2024 to allow staff with time off for summer break. During this period, you will be able to request a transfer but staff will not process your request until July 8, 2024.

Criteria for Requesting an IDT

The list below consists of the criteria for which a school transfer can be requested.

  • Documented harassment or victimization at your child's neighborhood school. Documentation must be within Infinite Campus, our District's Student Information System.

  • Sibling Rule
    • A sibling is currently attending and will remain enrolled at the requested school. 
    • Siblings will attend high school together at some point in the future. Please note that the older sibling establishes the grounds for transferring under the sibling rule. Therefore, the younger sibling can only follow the older sibling.
    • If the younger sibling does not attend high school together with the older sibling at any point in the future, the sibling rule does not apply. For example, if the younger student is a 7th grader and the older student is an 11th grader, since both siblings will not attend high school together, the sibling rule is not applicable.

  • Parent is a permanent William S. Hart Union High School District Employee
  • Active Military Families (Documentation will be required.)

  • Student is a Foster Youth (Court documentation will be required.)

What if my transfer request does not meet the criteria above?

If the reason for your transfer request is not listed above, your transfer request will not be processed. If you have additional factors that you would like to have considered, please contact our registrar, Ms. Cooper, at 661-295-3700 x1125 to further discuss your reason(s) for seeking a school transfer. 

Please be advised that requests that do not meet the criteria will not be reviewed until after May 1, 2024.  It may take up to 10 business days from that date (or the date of your initial request, if made after May 1st) to hear from Ms. Cooper as we work with students and families to finish out the current school year. Response time during the summer may be longer as a result of time off.


Can I appeal the principal's decision?

The principal's decision is final and cannot be appealed. Students in the William S. Hart Union High School District are expected to attend their school of residence based on our attendance boundaries. The pre-established criteria for transfers between school are outlined above. Transfer requests beyond these criteria are at the sole discretion of the principal. 


Students living in Castaic
If your student resides in Castaic, you will need to begin your transfer request with the Castaic Union School District. If your student is released by the Castaic Union School District and is accepted by the William S. Hart Union High School District for enrollment into either 7th or 8th grade, your child will attend Castaic High School for grades 9 through 12 unless a sibling is a current student at one of our high schools when your student starts in the 9th grade. 
What If My Child has an IEP?
The William S. Hart Union High School District offers the following regionalized programs:
  • Special Day Class - Functional Academics
  • Special Day Class -  Students with Emotional and Behavioral Needs
  • Special Day Class - Living Skills
  • Special Day Class -  Autism High Functioning
Your child's elementary or junior high school will coordinate a time to schedule a matriculation IEP meeting in the spring. For students who require the support of a regionalized program, your student's school placement will be determined at the time of the matriculation IEP and the appropriate paperwork will be completed at that time.
For students who qualify for Special Day Class Core Curriculum or our Resource Program, all comprehensive Hart District campuses offer these programs and requests for transfers are limited to our pre-established criteria.
Requesting an Intra District Transfer: Step 1
The first step in requesting an intra district transfer is to complete a request form, linked below. You will receive an email within 5 to 10 business days after your form submission with next steps for completing your transfer applications. Transfer requests that do not meet our pre-established criteria will not be processed.
Please be advised that the timeline for completing a transfer request varies based on the time of year.
Intra District Transfer Forms: